How to Wear Bright Trousers
It’s great that bright jeans and trousers are appearing in the shops. They make a great alternative to leggings and tights for the summer and add some cheer to your wardrobe. How you wear them is the difference between looking like a neon disaster and someone who is chic and stylish.
1. Forget combining trousers and a top in the exact same colour. Yes, you can pick up a trim or accent, but head to toe fuschia is way too much for anyone.
2. If you want to combine two brights, use ‘complementary’ colours – see blog – It’s Not All Black and White (31st January – Colour) for more information. This means combining opposites on the colour wheel of red/green, blue/orange and yellow/purple.
3. Pastels and nudes are still around so if you feel scared by the overwhelm of bright ness, consider paring with nude shoes and a sheer, paler blouse or t-shirt.
4. Your choice of footwear can change the whole look. High heeled courts and open toe wedges lengthen legs and give the air of sophistication and look great with both full length and cropped styles. Team with sports luxe – another trend – and trainers or high top wedges for running around. Girly colours, such as bright pink, worn with brogues and a blazer for an enigmatic masculine twist.
5. If trousers are super slim, you may need volume in your top. It can be loose and floaty, patterned or a sweater – summer here can be cold! Nautical stripes look great with red.
6. Choose accessories according to the overall theme of your look. Dramatic and bold or understated simplicity. Do the same with your handbag to keep the rhythm flowing.
7. Think about who you are today and what you are doing. A change of top and accessories can dramatically alter the entire look, meaning your trousers can play a very flexible role in your wardrobe.