CURIOSITY IN THE MOMENTFebruary 4, 2021
GUT INSTINCTFebruary 10, 2021
Stephen R Covey famously advised to “Start with the end in mind”.
Great advice when working on a project, or a future intention. As our lives become less certain, I have decided to turn this advice on its head. I want to ensure that the start of each day sets the tone for the remaining hours. If I can begin in a good frame of mind, doing something I enjoy, my reasoning is that the positivity permeates throughout the day.
One the years, and multiple self-help books, I have tried running, meditating, aerobics, yoga, even listening to classical music or motivational speakers, such as Tony Robbins, – all to no avail. What I REALLY love are these:
- My oversize (literally 6 sizes too big) fluffy bathrobe, that envelops, nurtures and hugs me like a huge teddy bear. How wonderful to be greeted like this as you step out of bed.
- Quietening my mind. I give myself 2 hours to solve deadly level sudoko, cryptic crosswords, ken ken, kakura and other brain puzzles. I have wood essence, and its my mind that’s overactive, not my body. This is like meditation for me so settles and calms me. I am in my ‘zone’, so the time flies by.
- Being inspired. Note the picture above my head, and on my favourite espresso cup. Frida Kahlo, one of my all time favourite artists and muses. The chair is leopard print – a fire pattern – a fun intention. Animal print is not something I would wear, but I can still embrace it in my home surroundings.
- Great coffee. I searched and searched for the perfect blend until I discovered Taylors of Harrogate, High Voltage. Soooo yummy.
- Quiet time. Having wood essence, mornings are super important to me. I rise around 5.30am and spend it alongside the beautiful birds that feed in my garden. It’s my favourite time of day.
Of course, this may not work for everyone. Some of us are larks, other’s owls. The message is to carve out some time for yourself, that fills you with what you need, physically, spiritually and/or mentally.
As the advert says “You’re worth it!”